Social action theory
in Crime and Deviance with Theory and Methods
In this podcast we will examine social action theory, discussing how its origins lie with the work and ideas of Max Weber. Application of this theory will be through a wide-ranging discussion of the symbolic interactionist perspective. Ideas of how it is a micro sociological theory will be examined and contrasted to macro structural theory.
1. Listen carefully to the podcast and make careful notes of key concepts and any key thinkers.
2. How does a micro sociological theory view the world?
3. Explain what interpretivist sociologists mean by behaviour being voluntaristic
4. Explain Goffman’s concept of ‘dramaturgy’
5. Give an example of an attempt at a synthesis between structure and agency