How do social policies affect family life?
in Families, Households and Beliefs in Society
How does social policy affect family life? Does it reinforce the traditional nuclear family as the ‘norm’, or does it support alternatives to the nuclear family? In this podcast you will learn the difference between the Right wing and Left wing views on social policy as well as considering theoretical interpretations of policy.
1. Listen carefully to the podcast and make careful notes of key concepts and any key thinkers.
2. Identify the role of the state according to right and left wing policy makers.
3. Identify three policies which reinforce the importance of traditional nuclear families.
4. What are the key same sex relationship policies?
5. What impact do social policies have on the experience of childhood?