Anomie and functionalist theory
in Crime and Deviance with Theory and Methods
In this podcast we explore the functionalist perspective on crime and deviance. The origins of this perspective will be considered through an examination of Durkheim’s concept of anomie. More modern ideas will be explored such as Merton’s strain theory and the contribution of functionalist subcultural theorists.
1. Listen carefully to the podcast and make careful notes of key concepts and any key thinkers.
2. What did Hobbes mean by the ‘social contract’?
3. How did Durkheim use anomie to explain crime.
4. Outline Merton’s strain theory to explain crime
5. What is subcultural theory’s criticism of Merton’s work?