Debates about subjectivity, objectivity and value freedom
in Crime and Deviance with Theory and Methods
In this podcast we explore the debate about whether sociology is value-free. It explores this debate broadly by considering the positivist and interpretive approaches. In addition, we will explore the question from that of the sociological perspectives of functionalism, Marxism, interactionism, feminism and postmodernism.
1. Listen carefully to the podcast and make careful notes of key concepts and any key thinkers.
2. What sociological approach advocates value-free sociology?
3. Explain why sociologists as ‘information gatherers’ were rarely value-free.
4. What types of sociologists are not considered value-free in their approach?
5. What is the postmodernist stance on value-freedom?