Modernity and post-modernity in relation to sociological theory
in Crime and Deviance with Theory and Methods
In this podcast we will examine the meaning and application of the terms modernity and post-modernity. With regard to the latter we will critically explore key characteristics of a post-modern society including fragmentation, uncertainty, choice, individualism, the shift to consumerism and how icons and image reinforce style over substance.
1. Listen carefully to the podcast and make careful notes of key concepts and any key thinkers.
2. Briefly outline a sociological understanding of modernity
3. What is meant by the term ‘metanarrative’?
4. Explain why postmodernist society is increasingly individualistic and that class is no longer important
5. What did Baudrillard mean by the term ‘simulacrum’?