The relationship between theory and methods
in Crime and Deviance with Theory and Methods
In this podcast the theoretical approaches of positivism, interpretivism and realism are discussed in relation to the methods typically used within them. Quantitative and qualitative data are discussed in relation to the approaches, together with the concepts of reliability and validity.
1. Listen carefully to the podcast and make careful notes of key concepts and any key thinkers.
2. Explain what empirical means
3. What research methods would be used by positivists in their attempt to collect data?
4. What did max Weber mean by the term ‘verstehen’?
5. Explain the methodological approach of realism